Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Think, think and think...

Clerked a patient today.

He is a 40-year-old Indian gentleman who complained of pain and swelling at the right shoulder tip which only got better a little after more than a week of accident.

So I went through the same questions. And of course, I asked about smoking and drinking habit.

He looked at me and said 'NO'.

Of course, I asked why. Is he afraid of the health consequences? And these were what he told me:

*translated from Malay*

"It's not fear or anything like that but I'd seen what these can do to people. Some people got married early and because of these habits, they neglected their family. Who is going to take care of the wife? The children? Both my elder brothers drink and smoke and they just left the wife and children to fend for themselves. Some of my friends also do the same thing. So I'd sworn to myself that I'll never smoke or drink. I'd told my children this since young and now they are clean from these."

Wow.... I was impressed. This man is clearly one who can think. Though he is not highly educated, he is observant. He saw how drinking and smoking destroy the lives of those who are close to him and instead of joining, he stayed out of it. Besides, he's also a loving and responsible man. He said that these habits do not bring habit to anyone. If a man becomes a slave to cigarettes and alcohol, who is going to take care of the wife and children? This shows that he's really concern about the wife and the children.

If only everyone will start to think like him. Get well soon, mr and hope you can get back to your football and win more games :)

No comments: