Saturday, April 9, 2011

What I learned from Dance :)

Attended the Dance Showcase by the dance students from my uni. And I can honestly say that it's one of the most memorable nights to me.

Seeing the students dance with passion on the stage, even when they were nervous, lots of thoughts filled my mind. Every emotional could be felt, every energy was clearly displayed and most of all, the joy and the love they have for what they were doing were portrayed. Abang Din was so energetic and cute on stage!!! Salute him :)

The night was very different from the nights that I am used to. The laughter, the cheer, the applause and the colourful stage and costumes were a contrast with medical school life. Friends joked about wanting to change course but surprisingly, my heart said no. A firm no. No, I don't want to major in dance. My heart lies in Medicine and a doctor is what I want to be. Dancing is fun but it's just not the destination that I want to steer towards. It's one of the road that I would like to stroll on to de-stress and to have fun but not as the main one.

When I was asked what was Dance Showcase all about, I thought I could give a very wonderful answer but after searching my minds for suitable descriptions, all I could say was 'It's just like performing long case and short case, whereby they have to perform in front of audiences who like dance show and lecturers who will evaluate you while we have to perform in front of a patient who is sick and doctors who will evaluate us.'

A breathtaking dance may be done effortlessly and gracefully by the dancers on the stage but in order to reach that near-perfect level, the preparations and practices behind-the-scene were painstaking. Just like medicine, examining a patient may be done effortlessly and professionally by doctorts but in order to reach the level, the preparations and practices by the doctor standing in front of you were painstaking too. Cramping endless info into your brain, being psycho-ed by your fellow batch mates, dealing with difficult batch mates, being scolded by doctors, feeling useless after lecturers' comments... The road in medical field is a bumpy one so much so that simple compliments can make me feel like a little girl who had just given chocolate(no matter how small it is), the comfort back home which I'd taken granted is always longed for and all the wonderful things in life are very much appreciated now.

Seeing how strong is their passion and joy towards what they are doing, I was put to shame. Medicine is something that I'm passionate about. But after nearly 2 years of being subjected to the stress, my confidence towards my ability has decreased. Failing quizzes, not reaching my target during final, not able to answer questions even after I just finished reading so on and so forth, I feel stupid. Now, I do not want the passion to fade away. From the start, money and fame were never my goal. All I want to is to help and comfort. To take care of people and to provide support to the people just like how I want to if I'm sick and unwell.

I want to show my passion towards medicine just like how the dancers showed their passion towards dancing.

I want to show my love towards medicine just like how the dancers showed their joy towards dancing.

I want to be good in what I'm passionate about just like how the dancers could dance so well in the dance that they are passionate about.

Most of all, I hope I can put in the efforts to perfect my skills just like how the dancers put in all the efforts to perfect their dance.

Inspiration and motivation can come in many ways and I got mine on a colourful and lively night :) Just pray that it'll not fade away so soon. Pray that clinical year will agree with me. I'll thicken up my face to learn. Just pray that I'm on the right track :)

But do let me get through my second year without having to trip on a big stone :P

Am praying hard now :) I don't really have much confidence towards the coming conass. If I do pass, the glory is all Yours, Lord. If I don't, I know it's a lesson that You want me to learn. I'll try my best :)

Met up with Abang Din and Poh Gee lao shi yesterday night. So happy to see them :) And had a great supper session with fellow dancing mates after the showcase. Though we're staying in the same college, we seldom meet each other or have time to sit down and chat. Thanks for showing me that dance is fun and wonderful. I obtained not only joy from all these, I learned a lot more about life :) Thanks Lord for giving me this chance unexpectedly :)

No comments: