Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hypocrisy....

Was reading Browse for my Surgical posting and I came across this statement: "Never be censorious about this facet of human nature-you do not know how you would react in similar circumstances."

I remember once I clerked a patient and when she knew that she had to go for dialysis, she became very upset. I did try to comfort her but I didn't know how to. She straight away told me off by saying that:"You're not the one who is going through this, you'll never know how it feels like." After that, I tried to encourage her a while then gave her some time alone.

It's true, I can try to place myself in your shoes but I'll never truly understand how does it feel like unless there's a day when I have to wear that pair of shoes.

I feel bad though. Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite. There's a patient that I would always avoid when he's around. He's a frequent patient in this hospital. He complains of chest pain and he'll do ECG as many time as possible until he gets admitted. Somehow, I caught his attention and he is always teasing me when he sees me. Sometimes, I do get a long lecture from him on how he has no mental problem but he's really in pain. He's frustrated for being labelled as a PSY patient and I'm frustrated for he'll never stop being around me whenever I clerk patients. However, do I have the right to criticise him? I don't even know him well and his background story. He made me feel like a big hypocrite by saying that we should be nice to patient but because of him, I'm learning not to complain about patients.

Don't complain. Don't criticise. I'll never know how I would react when I'm faced with similar problems as these patients.

Another lesson learnt. Thank God for everything that I have now :)

林宥嘉-傻子


第一次听到这首歌时,就已被词曲感动了。虽然这首歌有官方版的mv,但我还是喜欢宥嘉在现场诠释时为这首歌带出的感动与稍微沧桑的感觉。

No comments: