Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reminiscence...

It has been almost a year. 

In addition of books, we spent a year with patients; clerking them ,examining them... Some are nice, some gave advises to us, some closed their eyes the moment they saw us, some shooed us away...

A year may seem long but for us here, it passes like a rocket. Everything is fast and furious, study like crazy,  go shopping like crazy (at least for me...), sit for exam 2 monthly, write furiously during exam, heart lup-dup non-stop when doing long cases/short cases with Profs/senior Drs. Different dr, different technique, different style, different teaching method. Different student, different study method, different personality, different degree of kiasu-ness. 

Started with O&G. I'd always thought that I'll love it but it was just ok for me. There was no special feeling or whatsoever. Started our week with Prof Eugene and continued 3 weeks with Dr Valli. Both are very knowledgeable :) I do love to palpate mummy's tummy though. It's great to feel the foetus in the uterus :)

Our first lab outing.

Moved on to 1 month of Primary Care medicine. Different dr every day, then different rotation for the last 2 weeks. Got embarrassed for not able to perform cranial nerve examination properly as I'd just started. The one I love the most would be the Maternal and Child Health Section. Every morning, without fail, I'd stared at all the children and smiled widely as I signed my attendance :)

2nd outing after PCM posting.
Then it's time for Paediatrics. Strict but nice dr. Realised I do like children. But I'm still not very sure whether I'm able to handle them. Irritated one of the dr and then I started to doubt my skill. Hmmm...

With Prof Lucy and Dr Shekhar. 

Next, it's medicine. 2 different dr for 2 different month and we did a lot of adapting. First month was very laid back. I got to go for home visit as well as had some exposure to palliative medicine. Then the next dr came and we had to cope with his high expectations. But he is good. He is really good. 

With our first medical dr, Dr Loh.
With Dr Chong, the very knowledgeable nephrologist. The other groups are jealous of us :P

Next was surgery. Not to say that I hate it, I didn't love it as compared to medical and paeds postings. 

With our first surgeon, Prof Law.
Our 3rd surgeon, Dr Khaidir.

Had CRP in the middle of surgical posting. Spend 2 weeks in Kluang, Johor. Did house-to-house interview in Kampung Baru and got rejected a lot :( Did thematic project and as the editor, the stress fell to me eventually and I recovered partially 1 month after that. 

With Dr Victor after we won 2nd for our thematic presentation.
Last but not least, the 2nd medical posting. This time, 3 drs took us. 2 for 2 weeks and 1 for the last 1 month. All 3 are new drs and my group is their first batch of student. All are responsible, willing to share and teach and most of all, their skills and knowledge wowed us a lot.

With Dr Lim, the youngest of all, another very knowledgeable nephrologist.
As in today, 27th of July, I had my last ward round. Now it's time to prepare for end-of-posting test and the worst, final exam. Just pray that I'll make it. Time to work extra extra extra hard. All the best everyone :)

No comments: