Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Journey...

Today, a dear friend had an encounter which left a deep impression in her and we talked about this journey we are on. 

I thought of the time I'd been here. I have to admit, sometimes, I did get lost, somehow. It's a constant battle between being a robot and scoring high marks in exam vs having a heart but doing average in exam. I tend to lean towards the second though some of my colleagues look down on that. 

The conversation brought me back on track though. 

I still remember once when I was in the ward till late evening. Before I left, I dropped by a Malay grandmother's room to say goodbye. She had been in the ward for almost 1 month and she missed being home for Hari Raya. Hence, she was rather upset and restless so I tried to check on her everyday. She was with her husband who dotes on her. The moment I entered, they treated me with a hearty dinner. I tried to reject but they wouldn't take "no". That was one of the fondest memories I had here. Despite the race differences, they were very kind towards me. I was truly touched. 

There was another incident whereby an elderly lady who is from Johor had to be admitted in the ward. She had no one except her daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons who couldn't accompany her during the weekdays. She told me about her illness and her lost. I couldn't bear to see her alone so I would drop by every evening before I leave to chat with her for a while. She recalled fondly of another doctor who would constantly nag her to take her medications and take care of herself (I realised later that the dr was my buddy!). Every time I left, she would thank me with the grateful look that I'll never forget. 

There was also another instant when I met this angry-looking elderly lady. She called me over and asked me to help her with her food. Then she started telling me her stories. Boy, she is such a sweet lady. Every time I passed by, she would called me over and hold my hands and before I leave, she'd give me a big hug.

There were many more instances and they will always be in my memories. Paediatric posting had been my favourite posting by far (though it's the most scary and tough one) because all the lecturers care very much for their patients. I remember how Prof Lucy will stay on till late night just to make sure her critically-ill patients are alright. She would spend hours with them and I'd never heard her complain, not even once. And of course, my dear mentor, Prof S who has one of the biggest heart on top of having a vast knowledge. 

Thanks for being an inspiration for me, my dear lecturers, my dear colleagues and all the dear patients whom I had come across throughout this journey. 

I hope I'll never forget the reason that brought me to this journey. I do not wish to become a robot. All I want is to be a competent human being with a heart. 

仁 -永远别忘了当初的初衷...

No comments: