Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Love after grief...

What do you usually seek for when you're at the beach? Seashells? Pebbles? Have you ever thought of looking for bottle which has a message sealed in it?




I'd always hope to find one since I'd heard many stories involving message in a bottle. Most of the stories are amazing and almost unbelievable. Can you imagine a simple message in a bottle bringing two people from two totally different background and different places together??? Well, this was exactly what happened in one of Nicholas Sparks' book - Message In A Bottle.




This book tells the story of a divorcee Theresa Osborne and a widower Garrette Blake who were brought together by 3 letters which were found in bottles. Because of those compelling letters, Theresa decided to track down the writer of the letters. Honestly, if I were her, I might do the same thing too. Why? Read this:

'Without you in my arms, I feel an emptiness in my soul, I find myself searching the crowds for your face - I know it is an impossibility, but I cannot help myself. My search for you is a never-ending quest that is doomed to fail. You and I had talked about what would happen if we were forced apart by circumstances, but I cannot keep the promise I made to you that night. I am sorry, my darling, but there will never be another to replace you. The words I whispered to you were folly, and I should have realized it then. You - and you alone - have always been the only thing I wanted, and now that you are gone, I have no desire to find another. Till death do us part, we whispered in the church, and I've come to believe that the words will ring true until the day finally comes when I, too, am taken from this world.'

I would really really love to see the guy who wrote this. This letter was very significant to Theresa and it was very improtant for her to know that such man who was capable to love someone deeply and fully committed still existed since her first marriage failed when she caught her husband having affair with another woman. Just like most love story, when these two lonely people met each other, they were attracted to each other and eventually fell deeply in love.

But, it wasn't a smooth ride for the two of them. Although Garrett was attracted to Theresa but he still couldn't forget Catherine. At times, he would feel guilty for loving Theresa. Throughout their time together, Theresa didn't come clean to Garrett about the letters she found and which eventually led her to him.

Naveen told me he was ticked off by Theresa but for me, it was a difficult dilemma for the both of them and it was really unfair. Garrett was a diving instructor in Wilmington, North Corolina. He was very satisfied with his life there and he didn't want to leave. He even owned a shop and a boat there which he would sail from time to time especially if he was feeling down. His life was there and it would be difficult for him to move to other places. Meanwhile, Theresa was a newspaper columnist in Boston and she had a twelve-year-old son, Kevin. With the help of her best friend, Deana, her career started to blossom and she had a chance for a breakthrough. From the bottom of my heart, although I really want them to be together but I just couldn't bear to see any one of them making any sacrifices. It was just too difficult and the consequences were hard although love sometimes meant the willingness to sacrifice for the one you love.

I really like how Nicholas Sparks narrated Garrett's and Theresa's feelings and thoughts. He had the ability to touch the readers with his words and sometimes a small, non-sinificant event can seem so wonderful. He managed to tug at the readers's heartstrings and made us cry along with the characters. Tears of joy and sadness filled my eyes and my cheeks were wet with tears while reading this.

Although the ending was really unexpected but it really potrayed the love that Garrett and Theresa had for each other. If you'd read this book, it's better to read this too. It allows you to understand the author's intention better and it makes the potrayal of the theme - love after grief clearer. And yes, I really agree with Nicholas Sparks : No matter how hard and terrible life can be at times, it's possible to move on.

No comments: